I remembered I had some designer paper I picked up when I worked at an art store several years ago. I thought it would be appropriate to apply it to the sides of the painting and decorate it like an Easter egg. Here's the result.
I unrolled the paper and sprayed it with some green and yellow spray paint.
I cut out what I thought were the most interesting sections to use for the sides of the painting.
I gave a coat of purple to the sides so the color of the wood wouldn't peak through.
All done! I pasted and glazed the sides with some Mod Podge glue. It came out a little darker than I expected, but I'm still happy with it.